It’s Tuesday, which is…just awful. I’m still reeling from the over use of “nude” at the Golden Globes. Half the actresses decided to wear that tragic (not to be confused with tragically hip) color on the run way, and the vast majority of them looked washed out and bland. Way to go. You’re the thinnest, richest people on the planet and you dressed in a color that made you blend in with yourself. Ugh. And this week has barely begun.
Perhaps some Pop Bytes to brighten your day?
A screenwriter for the Hunger Games sequel has been chosen. Catching Fire will be adapted for the silver screen by Simon Beaufoy, who is best known for his Oscar winning work Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. Yes, Hunger Games may be over two months away still, but it’s never too early to start planning for
more money the future. [NYMag]
Photo Credit GuysLitWire
A new US study has shown that wearing headphones is dangerous to your health. Let me summarize: If you’re walking around, you need to pay attention. You are eight times more likely to die walking one mile home than driving it, so if you’ve been drinking always call a cab. Walking around city streets with headphones on is almost as dangerous as drinking. In fact, 55% of those hurt while walking with headphones on were hit by trains. So turn it down, pay attention, and bare in mind that while we all “multitask” our brains can truly only handle one thing at a time. [Guardian]
Cumberbatch needs to get physically fit for JJ Abrams, stating in an interview with MTV he’s been “…working out nonstop…” for his role in the Star Trek sequel. He’s a rather lanky Brit, and Kahn wasn’t known for being super buff so the mystery continues as to who Cunberbatch will be portraying. There are so many movies I’m over the moon for in 2013. It’s going to be a fantastic film year…if the studios live up to the hype. [MTV]
Finally, modern art everyone can enjoy. Gallery1988Melrose in California is hosting an AdultSwim exhibit. The show runs January 13th through February 4th, so get there quick to see your beloved characters featured in a whole new medium. It’s like when George posed on velvet and it became a frat wall must have, only much, much cooler. [DangerousMinds]
Kiersten Essenpreis “Brock Samson & The Neighborhood Stray Cats”, DangerousMinds via Nerdcore.
A woman in LA was arrested on Monday for attempting to sell sexual favors for McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets. Times are really, truly very hard. No pun intended. [LATimes]
Lana Del Rey is some kind of YouTube singing sensation or something, I don’t know. The fact of the matter is, however, that her terrible performance of not one, but two songs on Saturday Night Live this past weekend managed to distract people from Daniel Radcliffe’s own lackluster acting on the famous skit show. [HuffingtonPost]
Karen Gillian, Amy Pond of Doctor Who fame, is leaving the timey wimey franchise, and she’s about as thrilled about it as we, her fans, are. While asked about her characters future, during an interview for her current film We’ll Take Manhatten, Gillan expressed the sad, but mutual decision for the end of her character. And “end” is open to debate, as some rumors hint this may truly be her end. [Blastr]
BuzzFeed asks: Is Bane of the Dark Knight Rises merely a reincarnation of a snazzier Dr. Zoidberg? If you don’t know Zoidberg, then I’m not sure much on ChicGeekDaily is going to interest you. I’m talkin’ ’bout that space bug/monster in sandals that serves as the “physician” for the Planet Express Crew, though he alludes to losing more patients than actually helping them. Though he did save Fry’s life that one time, by sewing his head onto Amy’s shoulder…
Photo Credit BuzzFeed
* Remember that time that William Shatner said that Star Trek was way more popular that Star Wars. And then Carrie Fisher told him he was out of his ego maniacal mind and stated that Star Wars was, in fact, better? And then George Takei tried to make peace by awesomely stating that they should join forces and both fight against those craptacular Twilight films? Well, Shatner has now created a response to dear, sweet Takei. Let’s watch!
* DrFaustusAU of Deviant art created works depicting Seuss inspired Batman comics. A beautiful, perfect mashup. Each shows an easily recognizable Batman character in an undeniable Seuss style. [BuzzFeed]
* Robot Chicken will be airing its 100th episode this week. To celebrate they’ve set up a live webcam where fans can watch the actions of a robot and a chicken in a wee little hotel room. It’s a real robot and real chicken. And it’s adorable. [RobotChicken]
*Want to see a super bizarre animated Czech version of the Hobbit? Okay! [Blastr]
* Eight new stills from the upcoming Hunger Games movie have hit the internet to feed the over excited spoiler beast that dwells within all of us. [DenOfGeek]
* It’s no secret that I’m a huge Sherlock fan. And not just ’cause I’m chubby, I mean I really love Sherlock. So, I’m over the moon that the spectacular, gripping, and beautifully shot drama has been signed to a third series! I just wish it aired sooner in the States. BBC1 is currentlyairing Sherlock series 2 over in the UK, but it won’t air here until May. It will be on PBS, though, so even I, a fan without cable, will be able to catch it. [Zap2It]
* Parks and Rec just got even cooler: Paul Rudd will be playing Leslie Knope’s city council opponent on upcoming episodes! Rudd has perfect timeing, an excellent knack for improv, and I’m really looking forward to seeing him bounce off Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman. Actually, I’m pretty sure that if SNL wanted to throw together a skit of just Rudd and “Ron Swanson” Offerman it would be a viral hit in no time. Just when I thought I couldn’t get more addicted to this show… [NYMag]
* Love Downton Abbey? Perhaps it’s because there’s something familiar about it. And it seems even Hollywood isn’t immune to the harsh economic times. In a recent interview with the Daily Mail, it was stated that roughly 60% of Downton‘s costumes are recycled from other shows and movies. Even still, many of the dresses and costumes have been adapted and are barely recognizable from their previous turns on screen. If I were an actress I’d find it extra thrilling, having a bit of vintage and historical movie magic in the dresses I got to wear each day. Of course, I’d probably be so light headed from starving myself to fit into said dress that I wouldn’t even be able to remember my own name let alone be excited about who might have worn my outfit previously… [DailyMail]
* They’ve finally made it: An Alien vs. Predator chess set. In sharp detail and color, and even some almost clear pieces for the Predator’s side, the board was created by Deviant Artist Joker Laugh. Don’t act like you don’t want it. [iO9]
* The new season of East Bound and Down hits Sunday, February 19th. Here’s a trailer to tease us until then.
* Star Wars: Underworld. I’m not crazy about the name. Underworld is just to reminiscent of those terrible Kate Beckinsale movies that are forever needlessly in theaters. But this is the titled rumored for the Star Wars live-action series. In an interview with IGN George Lucas stated that this series would take place between Episode Puke – I mean, Episode Three and what we purists know as Star Wars, i.e. Episode four. [Blastr]
* Jeff Tweedy’s kids are growing up and to prove it, his eldest son made a music video…for his dad’s band. Spencer Tweedy created the video for Wilco’s song “Whole Love”. [StereoGum]