dark knight rises
It’s Tuesday, which is…just awful. I’m still reeling from the over use of “nude” at the Golden Globes. Half the actresses decided to wear that tragic (not to be confused with tragically hip) color on the run way, and the vast majority of them looked washed out and bland. Way to go. You’re the thinnest, richest people on the planet and you dressed in a color that made you blend in with yourself. Ugh. And this week has barely begun.
Perhaps some Pop Bytes to brighten your day?
A screenwriter for the Hunger Games sequel has been chosen. Catching Fire will be adapted for the silver screen by Simon Beaufoy, who is best known for his Oscar winning work Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. Yes, Hunger Games may be over two months away still, but it’s never too early to start planning for
more money the future. [NYMag]
Photo Credit GuysLitWire
A new US study has shown that wearing headphones is dangerous to your health. Let me summarize: If you’re walking around, you need to pay attention. You are eight times more likely to die walking one mile home than driving it, so if you’ve been drinking always call a cab. Walking around city streets with headphones on is almost as dangerous as drinking. In fact, 55% of those hurt while walking with headphones on were hit by trains. So turn it down, pay attention, and bare in mind that while we all “multitask” our brains can truly only handle one thing at a time. [Guardian]
Cumberbatch needs to get physically fit for JJ Abrams, stating in an interview with MTV he’s been “…working out nonstop…” for his role in the Star Trek sequel. He’s a rather lanky Brit, and Kahn wasn’t known for being super buff so the mystery continues as to who Cunberbatch will be portraying. There are so many movies I’m over the moon for in 2013. It’s going to be a fantastic film year…if the studios live up to the hype. [MTV]
Finally, modern art everyone can enjoy. Gallery1988Melrose in California is hosting an AdultSwim exhibit. The show runs January 13th through February 4th, so get there quick to see your beloved characters featured in a whole new medium. It’s like when George posed on velvet and it became a frat wall must have, only much, much cooler. [DangerousMinds]
Kiersten Essenpreis “Brock Samson & The Neighborhood Stray Cats”, DangerousMinds via Nerdcore.
A woman in LA was arrested on Monday for attempting to sell sexual favors for McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets. Times are really, truly very hard. No pun intended. [LATimes]
Lana Del Rey is some kind of YouTube singing sensation or something, I don’t know. The fact of the matter is, however, that her terrible performance of not one, but two songs on Saturday Night Live this past weekend managed to distract people from Daniel Radcliffe’s own lackluster acting on the famous skit show. [HuffingtonPost]
Karen Gillian, Amy Pond of Doctor Who fame, is leaving the timey wimey franchise, and she’s about as thrilled about it as we, her fans, are. While asked about her characters future, during an interview for her current film We’ll Take Manhatten, Gillan expressed the sad, but mutual decision for the end of her character. And “end” is open to debate, as some rumors hint this may truly be her end. [Blastr]
BuzzFeed asks: Is Bane of the Dark Knight Rises merely a reincarnation of a snazzier Dr. Zoidberg? If you don’t know Zoidberg, then I’m not sure much on ChicGeekDaily is going to interest you. I’m talkin’ ’bout that space bug/monster in sandals that serves as the “physician” for the Planet Express Crew, though he alludes to losing more patients than actually helping them. Though he did save Fry’s life that one time, by sewing his head onto Amy’s shoulder…
Photo Credit BuzzFeed
* I’m not going to delay this. Everyone everywhere needs to watch this Lion King/Dark Knight Rises right now. It’s genius and brought to us by Moviemaestroten at YouTube.
* Worst. Food Promotion. Ever. Burger King has had the fabulous idea to offer a Dark Side Burger and a Jedi Knight burger in honor of Star Wars 3D. I really, really hope they decide against the black bun. [BuzzFeed]
* Just in case you haven’t heard, Ab Fab is back in a big, beautiful way. Jennifer Saunders discusses it’s rebirth, smoking, and aging with Vulture Magazine. [NYMag]
Photo credit BestMoviesEverNews
* Wheel of Fish never had anything this awesome. A blue fin tuna recently sold at Tokyo’s Tsukiji fish market for $736,000. At weighing in at 593 pounds, that fish wound up costing about $1,238 a pound. And I’m sure every bit of it is delicious. Mmm… [Inquistr]
* The New York Times had to issue a correction recently due to an error in a story from last week. And it was spectacular, hysterical. I’m honestly glad they took the time to correct something that was important to those they feature in a front page story. See the clipping below. [BestWeekEver]
Photo credit Kerri Hicks
* Welcome to something I like to call “The Grossest Thing Ever.” Apparently the new teen fad is Vodka tampons. No, they’re not soaking up vodka with tampons to drink later. Teens are soaking up vodka with tampons and inserting them into their vaginas for a quick, mild buzz. According to the article, boys can also do this, too, through something called Butt Chugging. I’m not kidding. My favorite part of this little expose, however, was when Dr. Lisa Masterson said that the practice of vodka tampon use would “…literally destroy the vagina.” I like to imagine Jim Gaffigan dressed as a woman doing his Hot Pocket skit, but replacing “It will literally destroy your mouth.” with the above quote from Doc Masterson. Awesome. [HuffPostCA]
* A new Doctor Who rumor has hit the interwebs. As we all know, Amy Pond and Rory Williams out – heart breakingly – out. Word on the street is that the new sidekick might be none other than, Miranda Hart, an actress I know best as Diplomatic Officer Chloe Alice Teal of Hyperdrive. She’s funny, punky. She may not be my first pick for a replacement, but I’m not too sure I have one…’cept for maybe Gwen Cooper. [Blastr]
* Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be the new villain in the Star Trek sequel! I am over the moon about this! I can’t wait to see his Smaug and now I get him in Star Trek. Just fantastic, very exciting! I think 2011 is really going to be his year. [MTVNews]
* Speaking of Star Trek AND Doctor Who, ex-Who sidekick Mickey Smith (Noel Clarke) is also rumored to have signed on to the sequel. I loved him…until he got all up in Martha Jones, who I couldn’t stand. There’s going to be a number of cocky, villainous gazing come that movie. [Variety]
* And, finally, Portlandia performs Salt n Pepa’s Push It
* An Alien fan on YouTube has remixed the original Alien trailer from 1979 to look more like the Prometheus trailer of 2011. It is badass.
* Darth Vader is (kinda) dead (sorta). Bob Anderson, the master fencer who performed Vader’s battle scenes, has passed away at 89. [NPR]
* David Tennant is officially married!…to a girl who played his daughter in Doctor Who…who also happens to be the real daughter of the fifth Doctor Who from the 1980’s…You heard me. [NME]
* Snoop Dogg rocked The Price is Right recently. Just amazing. [Idolator]
* The opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Arc is iconic. Mesmerizing and perfectly shot, few movies have been able to grasp a viewer’s attention as efficiently and completely as Raiders. Due to the impact it has had on fans, many have attempted to recreate the opening sequence in different mediums. The newest incarnation comes in the form of classic movie clips from 30 movies shot between 1919-1973, edited together, and played side by side with the original. Pretty slick and very entertaining. [iO9]
* 85,000,000,004 rumor about Dark Knight Rises: Christopher Nolan has given in to the executives over at Warner Bros. and will be editing Bane’s voice so that viewers can actually understand him. It was originally noted in mid December by The Hollywood Reporter that Banes voice was a problem, but Nolan had little to no plans on altering it. It seems in an effort to please the studio and not alienate fans, Nolan may be changing his tune. [Blastr]
* It’s no secret that the science fiction genre is constantly overlooked during the Awards season. Then Lord of the Rings came along and – hopefully – changed this for good, winning all they deserved, including winning every nomination they had for Return of the King. Unfortunately, the Harry Potter franchise has experienced quite the Oscar nomination drought, which Warner Bros. plans on changing this year. The final two HP movies encompass the final book; I was not a huge fan of the previous movies, but I was floored by the greatness of the final two. Friends who were never Harry Potter fans even saw the final two films a couple of times in the theater. Just fantastic, and well deserving of the Oscar campaign Warner Bros plans on launching. [TheGuardian]
* I’m sorry, you’re claiming to have found what in your can of Mountain Dew?! Well, you must be mistaken, because according to Pepsi, Mountain Dew can dissolve an entire mouse carcass. [AtlanticWire]
* Watch an entire episode of Portlandia Season 2 online before it airs on IFC! Thank you, Internet Gods!
Image courtesy of IFC
And here we go.
* The Evil Dead is not only definitely being remade, but it even has a 2013 release date. Seriously, Hollywood, enough with the needless remakes. Come up with something original, Lord knows there are enough screenplays out there floating around. Bruce Campbell is my one and only Ash. Evil Ded Redone = This I don’t need. [MovieWeb]
* The viral marketing for the next installment of the Batman franchise, The Dark Knight Rises, has begun. Bane has leaked, as well as pictures of Cat Woman stealing the Bat Bike, Joseph Gordan Levitt as a cop in the Gotham snow…There’s so much spilled about the internet regarding this movie that I may very well be bored with the film long before it comes out. [Wired]
* I sense….I sense you ache for the magically morbid for your day…I sense… Bizarro Magician Deaths – with pictures! [HuffingtonPost]
*A New York based artist claims to have found animal images in the background of DaVinci’s Mona Lisa. You don’t want to know what he saw in Georgia O’Keeffe’s Black Iris. [ABC News]
* Gifts for that Star Trek fan of yours. Be warned: that Romulan Ale tastes like it came out of a faulty replicator. [Blastr]
* Star Trek gifts not your style? How about a pregnant virgin Mary ornament? It’s an oxymoron in blown glass! I mean, a miracle. [HufingtonPost]
*A Hermes crocodile handbag sold for over $200,000 at a Heritage Auction this week. The hearing impaired buyer was immensely disappointed to find the item was, in fact, just a crocodile purse and not the Chocodile Hearse he thought he was purchasing.
* The newest enticing chat coming from the rumor mills is that the iPad 3 will hit us in February of 2011. That’s good, because I’m so over the iPad 2. It’s not like I spend my days comparing every tablet to it, using my coworkers’ every chance I get, drooling over it…imaging the two of us on vacation in Tahiti: “Oh, iPad2, you’re so funny!…Put some lotion on my back?” [NewYorkPost]
* Kermit the Frog was recently interviewed regarding the future of the Muppets. Noticeably absent from the article was any news on the current whereabouts of Uncle Traveling Matt. [MTV Geek]
* Rick Perry is now aware of all of his many, many shortcomings as a presidential hopefully. In light of this epiphany, he’s now clawing desperately at the Christian Rite in an attempt to maintain votes. His recent “Strong” video is not only incredibly offensive, but also mocktastic!
* I think everyone every where should totally feel bad for the below storm trooper. You may be out of work, but at least when you lost your job, you were just laid off.
And a final note in awesome news:
* An extended 8 minute trailer has been released for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Willing to read subtitles? You can see an amazing film adaptation of the book on Netflix streaming right now.