What do you mean “Where have [I] been?!”
I’m right here! Let’s just move on, shall we?
The Best Thing You’re Not Utilizing Right Now: Adonit’s Jot Flip. This little beauty clips to your shirt or can be tossed in your lady-purse like any pen, BUT it also doubles as an incognito stylus for your iPad/iPhone. It’s so much more, though – Forget about feeling like you chubby fingers are too inadequate to play DrawSomething (they are, get on a treadmill for craps sake), you can now blow away your competition on the hit app, scribe notes in cursive, teach your kids to write on apps, draw with better precision on any tablet – it’s simply bad ass. This thing is crazy awesome and it comes in a ton of colors so I don’t have to ‘customize’ mine with Star Wars stickers, which is a nice change of pace for all the other mobile accessories I buy. Best of all, Adonit will play one game a week – Starting Tomorrow, Thursday April 5th, and feature their favorite DrawSomething artwork on their blog. We’re talking Artist Recognition for DrawSomething. It’ll be the next internet meme. Just make sure you have the right tools to compete. [Adonit, Werd]
* What’s a day without a Star Wars reference? Why it’s no day at all, my good fellow. Flavorwire has put together a list of 9 Star Wars references you never noticed before…but, yes you did, ’cause you’re as bad as me when it comes to an Empirical obsession. [Flavorwire]
* It’s Wednesday, also known as Humpday. If that’s not good enough and you need a lil’ extra boost for your day, Buzzfeed has inspired posts you can put around your claustrophobic cubicle to remind you you’re human even if your boss is not. [Buzzfeed]
* Kevin Bacon decided to play 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon and found out he’s distantly related to his own wife. [Inquistr]
* Rufus Wainwright has a new music video out starring Helena Bonham Carter. This is the first thing she’s done since Fight Club that wasn’t directed by someone she’s sleeping with and that doesn’t also start Johnny Depp. [PasteMagazine]
* I see your Gingerbread AT-AT and I raise you one gingerbread Tardis and a bunch of cookie Daleks! These are all amazingly delicious sci-fi cookies, but what it comes down to is that Geekmas is going to go straight to my ass and thighs this year. [Blastr]
Card art by Matt Mawson, available at RedBubble.com
* A six minute prologue of Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (a title I hate) has leaked online. I recommend watching it ASAP before the studio does damage control and pulls every last one of them. It took me a while to find anyone on the interwebs that still has access to it. [Perez Hilton]
* Saturday Night Live has released their yearly Christmas card. It’s the hottest card right now. It’s got everything: a turkey, Grandma, some emo kids, sunburned drifters with soap sud beards….you know, it’s that thing where a hobo becomes a rich man so they take a big bubble bath… [BuzzFeed]
* The Onion is selling fake techie gift boxes for the gadget hound in your life. Disguise a hopefully awesome gift as an incredible piece of crap. I for one am thrilled these are fake products; if that visor organizer was real I would have had to get one for my father by now.
* Speaking of fake gifts, Prank Pack is offering iDrive: a steering wheel mount system for your tablet. And, yes, of course it’s fake, but I’m sure it’d sell like a Snuggie if it were real (in other words, it would sell shittily well). [CNN]
* I always wanted to see Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy do the weather. Let’s watch, shall we?
* The Cheerio’s website recently came under fire for a new ad campaign. A new feature on their site allows kids to create their own honey bee inspired comic strip. But because Americans are sexually repressed monsters, the fan-made featured Hot Comic of the Day was completely inappropriate for children. And it gave entirely new meaning to the birds and the bees talk. [CinemaBlend]
* Three new Doctor Who clips have been posted online. I just can’t get enough. The sixth season has just been absolutely incredible, the story lines above and beyond any television writing I’ve ever seen. Steven Moffat out does himself episode after episode, year after year, I hate having to pick a favorite Doctor Who, but this sixth series is really topping it all for me. If you’ve been riding the line of whether or not to dive into the Doctor Who obsession, there’s no better moment than right now. The current series maintains the whimsy of the Doctor while mixing in all the darkness and sorrow of classic X-Files. They really are truly compelling to watch. See all of the new clips on Blastr. [Blastr]
* The wonderful, fantastic, legendary creator of the Mario Brothers is kind of, sort of retiring. Miyamoto, head of such notable projects as Zelda and Donkey Kong, will be stepping down as Head of Development at Nintendo for a position creating smaller games, citing multi-year long projects as his reason. Hey, at least he’s still making video games. In other news, a memorial service for a lost part of our childhood will be held in my mind, following six bottles of Shiner Holiday Cheer lager on Saturday evening. [The Nerdist]
* An Estate Sale is being held for the remaining items owned by Rue McClanahan. I’m not going to lie: I would love to get my hands on some of that stuff. I’m sure there are incredible pieces of jewelry, amazing home accents, and awesome furniture with hidden drawers just filled with classy vintage porn. One question remains, however: How will the lucky buyers get all that wicker safely back to Florida? [Out]
* Buzz Feed has compiled a list of the top 50 celebrity tweets of 2011. If you’re on twitter, I highly recommend following Jenny Johnson. No one can make fun of a Kardashian the way that woman can. And, of course, you should follow me @ChicGeekDaily! Thought Patton Oswalt didn’t make this list, he certainly made my own top tweets sheet. [BuzzFeed]
* I love artist Christian Petersen’s reimagined movie posters of classic sci-fi films. Done in a minimalist style, the color and simplicity of each is just gorgeous. And my personal favorites, if of Dark City, easily one of my Top 5 movies of all time (this excludes the Star Wars episodes 4, 5, & 6, and all three LOTR films, because, let’s face it, they are on a whole other plane of fantasticness). [Blastr]
* If you’re lucky enough to have a blanket of snow in your yard, do you do anything with it other than the occasional shoveling. A snow Jabba the Hut may inspire you to get more creative with your winter powder. And if snowy Star Wars doesn’t move you, perhaps an icy Batman will. [MSNBC]
If you like this, please consider following me on twitter, @ChicGeekDaily!
*Wasn’t I JUST talking about this? It seems a Doctor Who movie may actually be in the works, Capt. Jack Harkness’ preferences be damned. David Yates, of Harry Potter film fame, is said to be directing. It is rumored, however, that neither Matt Smith nor David Tennant would be the Doctor on the Silver Screen. Interesting…
*Because people are capable of being both Geektastic and Politically Aware, someone decided to make an Occupy Legoland model. It’s awesome, of course.
* It’s finally happened: Mario has come to life. Over the weekend in Times Square Mario 3D Land was erected and, man, do I wish I could go play. I have to admit, though, that this doesn’t seem like it’s the right season to have this setup. Snow is coming soon, and who wants to jump over turtle shells and ride Yoshi in a heavy winter coat?
* The International Space Station just blew my mind. I’ve watched this a number of times already, but it simply doesn’t get old to me. The video is time-lapsed photography taken by the ISS and shows our home in a whole new light. I hope to one day see Aurora Borealis or Australis in person, but until that time this video does them incredible justice in conveying their beauty.
* Another Twilight is coming out soon. I don’t care, but Hallmark does. The last thing I want fouling up my tree is Kristen Stewart’s sourpuss face.
* And the full Hunger Games trailer is finally here.