It’s Peanut Butter Hobbit time!
Let’s do a couple of Sunday morning rumors, shall we?
* The Guardian is throwing around the rumor that Peter Jackson may have plans to change the ending of the Hobbit. Now, the title for this article is “Will Peter Jackson give Tolkien’s Story a New Ending?” and I resent that. A title like that causes millions of Ringers to shit themselves while simultaneously hitting a thousand internet nerd forums to pour angry font diarrhea out over nothing. Remember how the Return of the King (the movie) ended? Do you remember how the book ended? Yeah, not the same. The Shire was over run by the time Samwise and Frodo got back. Their story didn’t end when they finally disposed of the ring in Mount Doom. Frodo did see enslavement of the Shire in the movie, when he looked in Galadriel’s mirror; this is the fate of the Shire regardless of whether or not Frodo completes his quest, not just in the event of failure as she states.
[Photo courtesy of Screenrant]
The rumor of change was brought about due to an EmpireOnline interview with Benedict Cumberbatch in which he stated that he voices Smaug (Yeaaaa!) and the Necromancer (speaking of the dead, not a doer of the dead) who eventually turns into the eye of Sauran. The Necromancer’s change into the Sauran happens not int The Hobbit, but later and involves the Battle of Five Armies, which is well away from any part of There and Back Again. So, we’ll just have to see.
The fact remains that my excitement for the films is undiminished.
I love Tolkien’s works. And I loved the movies. I’m not worried about any little tweak Peter Jackson may make. He’s stretching the Hobbit into two movies and it’s not that long of a book. Maybe he needs a little filler.
* Apple is apparently unleashing both an iPad 3 AND 4 in 2012. This is stupid. I don’t believe that for a second. I do believe that they may try a scaled down version to compete with the Kindle Fire and new Nook, but until I have a $300 ipad in my hands, I’m not getting a boner for any new iPad rumors for quite a while. [Inquistr]
Photo courtesy of Inquistr
I have to be off to Ultimate Frisbee, but afterwards Chip & I will be having a Rib Off.
That’s right: Not just one rib recipe, but TWO.
And here we go.
* The Evil Dead is not only definitely being remade, but it even has a 2013 release date. Seriously, Hollywood, enough with the needless remakes. Come up with something original, Lord knows there are enough screenplays out there floating around. Bruce Campbell is my one and only Ash. Evil Ded Redone = This I don’t need. [MovieWeb]
* The viral marketing for the next installment of the Batman franchise, The Dark Knight Rises, has begun. Bane has leaked, as well as pictures of Cat Woman stealing the Bat Bike, Joseph Gordan Levitt as a cop in the Gotham snow…There’s so much spilled about the internet regarding this movie that I may very well be bored with the film long before it comes out. [Wired]
* I sense….I sense you ache for the magically morbid for your day…I sense… Bizarro Magician Deaths – with pictures! [HuffingtonPost]
*A New York based artist claims to have found animal images in the background of DaVinci’s Mona Lisa. You don’t want to know what he saw in Georgia O’Keeffe’s Black Iris. [ABC News]
* Gifts for that Star Trek fan of yours. Be warned: that Romulan Ale tastes like it came out of a faulty replicator. [Blastr]
* Star Trek gifts not your style? How about a pregnant virgin Mary ornament? It’s an oxymoron in blown glass! I mean, a miracle. [HufingtonPost]
*A Hermes crocodile handbag sold for over $200,000 at a Heritage Auction this week. The hearing impaired buyer was immensely disappointed to find the item was, in fact, just a crocodile purse and not the Chocodile Hearse he thought he was purchasing.
* The newest enticing chat coming from the rumor mills is that the iPad 3 will hit us in February of 2011. That’s good, because I’m so over the iPad 2. It’s not like I spend my days comparing every tablet to it, using my coworkers’ every chance I get, drooling over it…imaging the two of us on vacation in Tahiti: “Oh, iPad2, you’re so funny!…Put some lotion on my back?” [NewYorkPost]
* Kermit the Frog was recently interviewed regarding the future of the Muppets. Noticeably absent from the article was any news on the current whereabouts of Uncle Traveling Matt. [MTV Geek]
* Rick Perry is now aware of all of his many, many shortcomings as a presidential hopefully. In light of this epiphany, he’s now clawing desperately at the Christian Rite in an attempt to maintain votes. His recent “Strong” video is not only incredibly offensive, but also mocktastic!
* I think everyone every where should totally feel bad for the below storm trooper. You may be out of work, but at least when you lost your job, you were just laid off.
And a final note in awesome news:
* An extended 8 minute trailer has been released for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Willing to read subtitles? You can see an amazing film adaptation of the book on Netflix streaming right now.