saturday night live
It’s Tuesday, which is…just awful. I’m still reeling from the over use of “nude” at the Golden Globes. Half the actresses decided to wear that tragic (not to be confused with tragically hip) color on the run way, and the vast majority of them looked washed out and bland. Way to go. You’re the thinnest, richest people on the planet and you dressed in a color that made you blend in with yourself. Ugh. And this week has barely begun.
Perhaps some Pop Bytes to brighten your day?
A screenwriter for the Hunger Games sequel has been chosen. Catching Fire will be adapted for the silver screen by Simon Beaufoy, who is best known for his Oscar winning work Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. Yes, Hunger Games may be over two months away still, but it’s never too early to start planning for
more money the future. [NYMag]
Photo Credit GuysLitWire
A new US study has shown that wearing headphones is dangerous to your health. Let me summarize: If you’re walking around, you need to pay attention. You are eight times more likely to die walking one mile home than driving it, so if you’ve been drinking always call a cab. Walking around city streets with headphones on is almost as dangerous as drinking. In fact, 55% of those hurt while walking with headphones on were hit by trains. So turn it down, pay attention, and bare in mind that while we all “multitask” our brains can truly only handle one thing at a time. [Guardian]
Cumberbatch needs to get physically fit for JJ Abrams, stating in an interview with MTV he’s been “…working out nonstop…” for his role in the Star Trek sequel. He’s a rather lanky Brit, and Kahn wasn’t known for being super buff so the mystery continues as to who Cunberbatch will be portraying. There are so many movies I’m over the moon for in 2013. It’s going to be a fantastic film year…if the studios live up to the hype. [MTV]
Finally, modern art everyone can enjoy. Gallery1988Melrose in California is hosting an AdultSwim exhibit. The show runs January 13th through February 4th, so get there quick to see your beloved characters featured in a whole new medium. It’s like when George posed on velvet and it became a frat wall must have, only much, much cooler. [DangerousMinds]
Kiersten Essenpreis “Brock Samson & The Neighborhood Stray Cats”, DangerousMinds via Nerdcore.
A woman in LA was arrested on Monday for attempting to sell sexual favors for McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets. Times are really, truly very hard. No pun intended. [LATimes]
Lana Del Rey is some kind of YouTube singing sensation or something, I don’t know. The fact of the matter is, however, that her terrible performance of not one, but two songs on Saturday Night Live this past weekend managed to distract people from Daniel Radcliffe’s own lackluster acting on the famous skit show. [HuffingtonPost]
Karen Gillian, Amy Pond of Doctor Who fame, is leaving the timey wimey franchise, and she’s about as thrilled about it as we, her fans, are. While asked about her characters future, during an interview for her current film We’ll Take Manhatten, Gillan expressed the sad, but mutual decision for the end of her character. And “end” is open to debate, as some rumors hint this may truly be her end. [Blastr]
BuzzFeed asks: Is Bane of the Dark Knight Rises merely a reincarnation of a snazzier Dr. Zoidberg? If you don’t know Zoidberg, then I’m not sure much on ChicGeekDaily is going to interest you. I’m talkin’ ’bout that space bug/monster in sandals that serves as the “physician” for the Planet Express Crew, though he alludes to losing more patients than actually helping them. Though he did save Fry’s life that one time, by sewing his head onto Amy’s shoulder…
Photo Credit BuzzFeed
* Want to see the Hobbit trailer? Then you’ll have to see Tin Tin. Most people will not find this a hard thing to do, as Tin Tin is sure to do gang busters at the box office. Peter Jackson, director of the Hobbit, is also the producer of Tin Tin, so…no conflict of interest there. [Blastr]
* Stars Wars meets Garbage Pail Kids in a new art piece to hit the internet. The artist did a similar work titled Hand Solo, but as inappropriate pictures of a sexual nature are not allowed on the internet, it was quickly removed. [Buzz Feed]
* In other Star Wars news, over 15,000 citizens of the Czech Republic are followers of the religion Knights of Jedi, which is slightly less than the 390,000 Britons who claimed to worship in 2001. You read that figure correctly. According to its doctrine, the belief system revolves around the worship and acceptance of “…an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.” This now joins the ranks of other Fake Bullshit Turned Religious groups, though at least it’s more credible and less sexually disturbing than it’s colleagues, the Mormon Church and the Church of Scientology. [Huffington Post]
* Disney has gone Steampunk! I love the Steampunk style, I really do. All that leather and brass, there’s something very 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – esque about it all and I love it. Do I dress that way? Nope, not at all, not at home, not out and about, not on a train or in a plane. But I do love the look. These depictions have garnered far more interest than when Wembly of the Fraggles went Goth. [Walyou]
* Blastr has compiled a list of the 40 most perfect final frames of classic movies. I could definitely widdle this list down even further, but I love that someone created this. It’s posts like this one that is precisely why the internet was created. Well, this and porn. [Blastr]
* This past weekend’s Saturday Night Live, hosted by Jimmy Fallon was easily the funniest of the season and I’m not the only one who thinks so: Fallon’s SNL earned NBC their highest ratings in months. [Deadline]
* Draw2d2 artists put together depictions of Marvel characters as the star of notable scenes from A Christmas Story. All are very well done, my favorite being Wolverine’s tongue stuck to…well, you’ll just have to see for yourself. [Buzz Feed]
* Like poor Yorick, Amy and Rory will leave us far too soon, leaving us with memories of adventure and heartache. At the premiere of the Doctor Who Christmas Special, Writer and Executive Producer Steven Moffat acknowledged their characters cut with the series early next season saying, “The final days of the Ponds are coming. I’m not telling you when or how, but that story is going to come to a heartbreaking end.” This is something I’m not looking forward to witnessing. [MTV Geek]
* More Doctor news reveals 9 new stills from the Christmas Special. Couldn’t have cared less for last year’s and simple cannot wait for this year’s! See all of them at Blastr. They’re noted as “spoilers”, but trust me, no one has any idea what’s going on in these. [Blastr]
* A man named Pat Vaillancourt has won the record of the most URL addresses tattooed on his body. Of course he did. Because who else in the world would possibly want that title? [Walyou]
* And, finally, Kim Jong-Il is dead at the age of 69. It has not yet been stated why North Korea chose to wait two days to tell its citizens, but it is known that Jong-Il’s youngest son, Kim Jong Un, will be taking over. Believed to be roughly 27 years old, Jong Un is also the only chubby person in North Korea in light of Jong Il’s passing. The young dauphane will have quick the pair of ladies shoes to fill. [MSNBC]
* King Jong Il once attempted to solve his peoples’ starvation by breeding giant rabbits, but then the selfish, fat, psychopathic bastard decided to eat all the bunnies himself during a birthday celebration. Why end your people’s plight when you could have an awesome night of excess and debauchery instead? Gawker has more sick facts about the dead man in an article they’ve titled “Giant Rabbits and Double Rainbows. Awesome. [Gawker]
Let’s remember Jong Il in all his glory, shall we?