I am slightly sad we didn’t see a glimmer of Smaug even though I knew full well he wouldn’t be in the first part of the Hobbit. That being said, I don’t want to admit to the amount of times I’ve watched that trailer…and have subsequently gotten my coworkers to do the same.
On to Pop Bytes!
* Daniel Radcliffe, also known as Entertainment Weekly’s Entertainer of the Year, will be hosting SNL in January. The musical guest will be Lana Del Rey. I have no idea who that is. Radcliffe is the first of the Holy Harry Potter trifecta to host the legendary skit show. Emma Watson of now modeling and acting fame has a fairly good chance for a future spot given her blossoming career. Not sure the same could be said for the rough looking ginger one at this point… [NYDailyNews]
* 1 million Avengers = No time for Diddlin’! Okay, there aren’t 1 million Avengers, but there are quite a few and when you write a script that pays specific attention to each that leaves little time for love makin’ on the side, according to writer Joss Whedon. So if you were planning on seeing the Black Widow and Hawk Eye get it on, keep dreaming. [Blastr]
* The trailer for 21 Jump Street is now online, though unlike the Hobbit trailer, I’m not sure too many people will be chomping at the bit to view it. Or watching it more than once. I too enjoyed the television show. When I was eleven.
* While we’re still working off that Hobbit mountain high, let me point out that Google Maps has a Middle Earth easter egg. If you haven’t already typed “Let it snow” into a google search bar, you should hop on that bandwagon, too. [BuzzFeed]
* Can’t get enough Batman buzz? Well, a new trailer has been released to help ease – or worsen – your addiction. [Apple Trailers]
* His belly shakes like a bowl of jelly. His beard is as white as the snow. He’s got a twinkle in his eye and a button red nose. And, apparently, Santa also has a boner for suuuuuuuuper slutty teenage girls. I guess it also burns when he pees now, huh? [BuzzFeed]
* A replicator would be great, but just working on the Enterprise for the United Federation of Planets would be tops!…But, then, I’d still probably be an admin, and I bet even in space that post ain’t a glamorous one. With the iPad 2 we’re all ready ahead of the tablets that the Starfleet crew used and Apple is bringing us closer to holographic messages day by day. Still, there are other awesome gadgets we thought we’d have by now that just aren’t a reality. [Tecca]
* Speaking of Star Trek, the 398,000th rumor to hit the news is that the sequel will have a little Capt. Pike action in it. There have been so many even “confirmed” rumors that have been squashed at this point. Though I’d be thrilled for his inclusion, I will take this with a grain of salt. [Blastr]
* And, finally, Spoke Art has released Star Wars ninja prints. And I want them all! [MTV Geek]
* Want to see the Hobbit trailer? Then you’ll have to see Tin Tin. Most people will not find this a hard thing to do, as Tin Tin is sure to do gang busters at the box office. Peter Jackson, director of the Hobbit, is also the producer of Tin Tin, so…no conflict of interest there. [Blastr]
* Stars Wars meets Garbage Pail Kids in a new art piece to hit the internet. The artist did a similar work titled Hand Solo, but as inappropriate pictures of a sexual nature are not allowed on the internet, it was quickly removed. [Buzz Feed]
* In other Star Wars news, over 15,000 citizens of the Czech Republic are followers of the religion Knights of Jedi, which is slightly less than the 390,000 Britons who claimed to worship in 2001. You read that figure correctly. According to its doctrine, the belief system revolves around the worship and acceptance of “…an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.” This now joins the ranks of other Fake Bullshit Turned Religious groups, though at least it’s more credible and less sexually disturbing than it’s colleagues, the Mormon Church and the Church of Scientology. [Huffington Post]
* Disney has gone Steampunk! I love the Steampunk style, I really do. All that leather and brass, there’s something very 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – esque about it all and I love it. Do I dress that way? Nope, not at all, not at home, not out and about, not on a train or in a plane. But I do love the look. These depictions have garnered far more interest than when Wembly of the Fraggles went Goth. [Walyou]
* Blastr has compiled a list of the 40 most perfect final frames of classic movies. I could definitely widdle this list down even further, but I love that someone created this. It’s posts like this one that is precisely why the internet was created. Well, this and porn. [Blastr]
* This past weekend’s Saturday Night Live, hosted by Jimmy Fallon was easily the funniest of the season and I’m not the only one who thinks so: Fallon’s SNL earned NBC their highest ratings in months. [Deadline]
* Draw2d2 artists put together depictions of Marvel characters as the star of notable scenes from A Christmas Story. All are very well done, my favorite being Wolverine’s tongue stuck to…well, you’ll just have to see for yourself. [Buzz Feed]
* Like poor Yorick, Amy and Rory will leave us far too soon, leaving us with memories of adventure and heartache. At the premiere of the Doctor Who Christmas Special, Writer and Executive Producer Steven Moffat acknowledged their characters cut with the series early next season saying, “The final days of the Ponds are coming. I’m not telling you when or how, but that story is going to come to a heartbreaking end.” This is something I’m not looking forward to witnessing. [MTV Geek]
* More Doctor news reveals 9 new stills from the Christmas Special. Couldn’t have cared less for last year’s and simple cannot wait for this year’s! See all of them at Blastr. They’re noted as “spoilers”, but trust me, no one has any idea what’s going on in these. [Blastr]
* A man named Pat Vaillancourt has won the record of the most URL addresses tattooed on his body. Of course he did. Because who else in the world would possibly want that title? [Walyou]
* And, finally, Kim Jong-Il is dead at the age of 69. It has not yet been stated why North Korea chose to wait two days to tell its citizens, but it is known that Jong-Il’s youngest son, Kim Jong Un, will be taking over. Believed to be roughly 27 years old, Jong Un is also the only chubby person in North Korea in light of Jong Il’s passing. The young dauphane will have quick the pair of ladies shoes to fill. [MSNBC]
* King Jong Il once attempted to solve his peoples’ starvation by breeding giant rabbits, but then the selfish, fat, psychopathic bastard decided to eat all the bunnies himself during a birthday celebration. Why end your people’s plight when you could have an awesome night of excess and debauchery instead? Gawker has more sick facts about the dead man in an article they’ve titled “Giant Rabbits and Double Rainbows. Awesome. [Gawker]
Let’s remember Jong Il in all his glory, shall we?
* I see your Gingerbread AT-AT and I raise you one gingerbread Tardis and a bunch of cookie Daleks! These are all amazingly delicious sci-fi cookies, but what it comes down to is that Geekmas is going to go straight to my ass and thighs this year. [Blastr]
Card art by Matt Mawson, available at RedBubble.com
* A six minute prologue of Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (a title I hate) has leaked online. I recommend watching it ASAP before the studio does damage control and pulls every last one of them. It took me a while to find anyone on the interwebs that still has access to it. [Perez Hilton]
* Saturday Night Live has released their yearly Christmas card. It’s the hottest card right now. It’s got everything: a turkey, Grandma, some emo kids, sunburned drifters with soap sud beards….you know, it’s that thing where a hobo becomes a rich man so they take a big bubble bath… [BuzzFeed]
* The Onion is selling fake techie gift boxes for the gadget hound in your life. Disguise a hopefully awesome gift as an incredible piece of crap. I for one am thrilled these are fake products; if that visor organizer was real I would have had to get one for my father by now.
* Speaking of fake gifts, Prank Pack is offering iDrive: a steering wheel mount system for your tablet. And, yes, of course it’s fake, but I’m sure it’d sell like a Snuggie if it were real (in other words, it would sell shittily well). [CNN]
* I always wanted to see Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy do the weather. Let’s watch, shall we?
* The Cheerio’s website recently came under fire for a new ad campaign. A new feature on their site allows kids to create their own honey bee inspired comic strip. But because Americans are sexually repressed monsters, the fan-made featured Hot Comic of the Day was completely inappropriate for children. And it gave entirely new meaning to the birds and the bees talk. [CinemaBlend]
* Three new Doctor Who clips have been posted online. I just can’t get enough. The sixth season has just been absolutely incredible, the story lines above and beyond any television writing I’ve ever seen. Steven Moffat out does himself episode after episode, year after year, I hate having to pick a favorite Doctor Who, but this sixth series is really topping it all for me. If you’ve been riding the line of whether or not to dive into the Doctor Who obsession, there’s no better moment than right now. The current series maintains the whimsy of the Doctor while mixing in all the darkness and sorrow of classic X-Files. They really are truly compelling to watch. See all of the new clips on Blastr. [Blastr]
* The wonderful, fantastic, legendary creator of the Mario Brothers is kind of, sort of retiring. Miyamoto, head of such notable projects as Zelda and Donkey Kong, will be stepping down as Head of Development at Nintendo for a position creating smaller games, citing multi-year long projects as his reason. Hey, at least he’s still making video games. In other news, a memorial service for a lost part of our childhood will be held in my mind, following six bottles of Shiner Holiday Cheer lager on Saturday evening. [The Nerdist]
* An Estate Sale is being held for the remaining items owned by Rue McClanahan. I’m not going to lie: I would love to get my hands on some of that stuff. I’m sure there are incredible pieces of jewelry, amazing home accents, and awesome furniture with hidden drawers just filled with classy vintage porn. One question remains, however: How will the lucky buyers get all that wicker safely back to Florida? [Out]
* Buzz Feed has compiled a list of the top 50 celebrity tweets of 2011. If you’re on twitter, I highly recommend following Jenny Johnson. No one can make fun of a Kardashian the way that woman can. And, of course, you should follow me @ChicGeekDaily! Thought Patton Oswalt didn’t make this list, he certainly made my own top tweets sheet. [BuzzFeed]
* I love artist Christian Petersen’s reimagined movie posters of classic sci-fi films. Done in a minimalist style, the color and simplicity of each is just gorgeous. And my personal favorites, if of Dark City, easily one of my Top 5 movies of all time (this excludes the Star Wars episodes 4, 5, & 6, and all three LOTR films, because, let’s face it, they are on a whole other plane of fantasticness). [Blastr]
* If you’re lucky enough to have a blanket of snow in your yard, do you do anything with it other than the occasional shoveling. A snow Jabba the Hut may inspire you to get more creative with your winter powder. And if snowy Star Wars doesn’t move you, perhaps an icy Batman will. [MSNBC]
If you like this, please consider following me on twitter, @ChicGeekDaily!