Let’s do this.
* I love the accepted awkwardness that is Zach Gallifianakis. Here he is talking with one of my favorite women in the world, Tina Fey. Open your heart, be one with the Uncomfortable.
*There are never enough Geek periphinalia shops!…Okay, maybe there are, but The Novo Geek strives to make useful geek tools. As they state, “..no mugs with faces on them!” Need a journal? How about one from the Galactica, with weird corners and all? Going out and need some fancy new accouterments? How about a discrete and classy Star Trek tie? I wouldn’t recommend a red one, though… They only take on a few creative products a month, good design and excellent userability. It’s a fantastic concept and something that I hope continues successfully.
* Cover Browser is a relatively new (to me) site that allows you to flip through over 450,000 comic book covers. May I recommend not doing this at work. It will suck up the rest of your afternoon with awesomeness and totes get you in trouble with the boss.
* Speaking of Comic Books, Comic Book Resources has a list of the highest grossing comic book movies of all time. Good for these movies to make millions upon millions upon millions of dollars!…next to not a single cent of which actually went to the creators of these characters or their families. You make me fucking sick, Hollywood. No, I haven’t seen the Avengers. Thanks for asking.
* Even in the future, people get sick. Fantasy always maintains a bit of reality in the terms of health needs and Blastr has compiled a list of the top nurses that have gotten us all hot and bothered throughout time. Me? Well, Rory Williams can give me a sponge bath any day he wants. [Blastr]
* Artist Agan Harahap has created a photo series imagining what it would have been like if Spiderman was a participant in World War II. Well, obviously it would have ended a lot sooner saving millions of lives, and Hitler would have been captured alive rather than committing suicide like a coward in an underground bunker. It also would have probably been known as World War Awesome. [Flickr]
* What’s awesome? Star Wars! What’s delicious? Pancakes! What’s deliciously awesome?! STAR WARS PANCAKES!
Photo Credit WalYou
* Simply cannot wait for Wes Anderson’s newest flick, Moonrise Kingdom. An new Making-Of featurette has been released to wet our appetites even more. This will be a great year for movies.
* While we’re doing featurettes, let’s talk the newest release from Prometheus, shall we? Their newest gift to fans shows what’s believed to be the origins of life. Prepared to be surprised. Let’s watch! [Blastr]
I was going to do this post about life and crap, and maybe I still will later, but for now…
SPOILER ALERT! If you don’t want to hear about Star Trek 2 RIGHT NOW, then go away.
Good. It’s about to get real.
BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH IS KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
I mean, we knew that. You knew it, I knew it, we all felt it. Like falling in love with someone you shouldn’t. People deny it, tell you it’s wrong, but you wake up in the morning and there it is:
A big thank you to Sarah B. for making my morning a little more exciting.
Let’s do this. And then let’s get some sushi.
*Shamrock shakes are back at McDonald’s and are now available at every location. Run out and get one, and get fat…ter. According to USA Today
“The Shamrock Shake weighs in at 540 calories and 16 grams of fat for a small, or 840 calories and 24 grams of fat for a large…”
Awesome. [USA Today]
* A daughter wasn’t supposed to use Facebook and she certainly wasn’t supposed to talk shit about her father while using the social networking site. What’s a parent to do? Well, according to her father, Tommy Jordan, the answer is to murder the laptop. But before you go believing he’s an abusive mad man, Jordan makes an 8 minute video case to his daughter explaining the actions – and where she went wrong. There’s a difference between freedom of speech and a punk, spoiled brat. I’m all for tough love. Unless the daughter worked a part time after school job to purchase that laptop herself, I certainly don’t feel this is any form of abuse. She broke the rules, and I know that if my parents merely took my laptop away and hid it, that I would find it. Nice. [MSNBC]
* So, a few months ago, somebody posted on a Civil War era photo on eBay. The seller pointed out how much the gentleman in said photo resembled Nicholas Cage…and then speculated on the possibility that Cage was, in fact, a vampire. Because apparently vampires can either have sparkly skin or a massively receding hairline. Anyway, in an attempt to stay relevant, Cage brought up this photo while on The Late Show with David Letterman last night. And, no, starring in the next skull-on-fire movie thing isn’t keeping him relevant. [Blastr]
* Every Best Of… List always lacks something, and this tournament for the Best Sitcom Episode Ever is no different. Splitsider is giving fans the opportunity to vote for their favorite of all time, but be prepared to be disappointed. Also, be prepared to totally want to go watch some 80’s and 90’s tv after reading through their list – ooooh, Marge vs The Monorail – Classic! [Splitsider]
* Amy and Rory are leaving us. It’s not up for discussions; it simply has to be accepted. But I am not up for Moffat to tease us with the possibility of a new sidekick. I really liked Rory and Amy, just as I really liked Rose Tyler. If he continues to go through companions like popcorn, we’re going to have to change the The Doctor’s name to the Space Whore. In regards to the Doctor’s 50th anniversary Moffat states “There will be shocks, surprises and heartbreak—the Doctor is about to say goodbye to his very best friends, Amy and Rory…And then he’s about to say hello to someone very different.” Oh, Moffat. This I don’t need. [Blastr]
* I don’t need any more of a complex. I am a chubby-lady-geek. I wear that badge with pride and a crap ton of girly insecurity. It’s what I do, it’s my thing. So, the dude who totally photoshopped classic works of art to have the women featured appear thinner as today’s standards? Oh, he is just begging for me to key his car. Which I imagine is a Douche Mobile. [The Gloss]
* I don’t want an XBox 360. I don’t. I mean, a PS3 makes much more sense…So stop trying to woo me, Lucas Arts! A c3po/Artoo special edition Kinect?! EVIL! [MTV Geek]
* Speaking of Star Wars, a dude made a custom Millennium Falcon guitar. It totally shreds and dodges asteroids. But the coolest thing about it? The little bit are R2-D2 detailin’. Bad Ass to the max! [GeekIsAwesome]
* And, finally, this happened:
Photo credit Blastr
Thank you, and good night!
Be sure to follow me on Twitter @ChicGeekDaily !
* “Hello, Sweetie.” And I’m still freaking out about the Doctor Who video game. How good could it possibly be? Do I care if it’s not any good? I just want it NOW! New info: You get to be Dr. Riversong, or Melody Pond as it were. You have to have a PS3 or a PC to play it; XBox and Wii are left out of play time.
* Marky Ramone’s leather jacket is up for auction! This is an incredible, almost unbelievable item – especially since Marky says it’s not his. [WSJ]
* You know what’s GREAT? BBC’s Sherlock! You know what is proven time and time again to be completely shitty? The American studio mania over remaking that which the British already does well. CBS thinks it’s going to remake Sherlock. My personal thoughts on this are “Screw you, CBS,” – but I am not alone! Producers of the BBC program had been asked for American licensing, and , because they’re not stupid, they turned CBS down for the request. Now they are planning on moving forward to sue the Columbia Broadcasting System if the American Sherlock in any way resembles the BBC one. Why can’t we just embrace BBC America with open arms, people?! [Blastr]
* Humans aren’t the only mammals who hate paparazzi. Extremely rare and uncommonly photographed, a couple of snow leopards in the wilds of Tajikistan decided to steal one of eleven cameras setup to document the elusive cat. It’s nice to see a species on earth who isn’t an attention whore. [Inquistr]
Photo Credit Inquistr
* Speaking of attention whores, Miley Cyrus is an idiot who couldn’t scream louder for attention if she tried.
* Zachary Quinto told E! that he would like to return to American Horror Story. Personally, I believe that thicked-haired hunk of man meat needs to keep focus and his eyes on the prize: The Star Trek sequel. Once that’s squared away, then I will allow him to have outside interests. [E!]
* Speaking of Star Trek, a man who spent
waaaaay too much time and energy Almost $160,000 on turning a 500-square-foot apartment into a TNG version Enterprise is – shocker! – being divorced by his wife. This isn’t the heart breaking part. The heart break is the fact that the custom decor must be completely torn down, because it’s his wife who owns and pays the mortgage for his little obsession is no longer supporting a deadbeat man-child. I mean, she needs to move on. And that’s coming from someone who would love a TNG apartment. [Blastr]
* Ricky Gervais can’t get enough work these days. His Science channel series (Yes, Gervais and the Science Channel are working together), An Idiot Abroad 2: The Bucket List, is doing exceptionally well. Haven’t heard of it before? You’re not alone, but numbers on proving that the show is catching on fast. You can watch it on Saturdays, 10pm eastern. Me? I just really want to see Life’s Too Short. [TheHollywoodReporter]
* I happen to love Louis C. K., both the man and his show. People magazine, however, has writers on staff who very obviously have no clue what their subject matter is. And, one of the first rules of writing is if you don’t know anything about it, don’t write it. That is the worst description of everything Louie that I’ve ever read. [People]
* And, it’s finally happened: For the first time in Disney’s history, employees are finally allowed to sport facial hair. Never mind the fact that Walt himself had that rather prolific mustache, apparently he was a total dick about everyone else getting to sport some manly fuzz. [CBSNews]
Photo Credit WeHeartIt
It’s Tuesday, which is…just awful. I’m still reeling from the over use of “nude” at the Golden Globes. Half the actresses decided to wear that tragic (not to be confused with tragically hip) color on the run way, and the vast majority of them looked washed out and bland. Way to go. You’re the thinnest, richest people on the planet and you dressed in a color that made you blend in with yourself. Ugh. And this week has barely begun.
Perhaps some Pop Bytes to brighten your day?
A screenwriter for the Hunger Games sequel has been chosen. Catching Fire will be adapted for the silver screen by Simon Beaufoy, who is best known for his Oscar winning work Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. Yes, Hunger Games may be over two months away still, but it’s never too early to start planning for
more money the future. [NYMag]
Photo Credit GuysLitWire
A new US study has shown that wearing headphones is dangerous to your health. Let me summarize: If you’re walking around, you need to pay attention. You are eight times more likely to die walking one mile home than driving it, so if you’ve been drinking always call a cab. Walking around city streets with headphones on is almost as dangerous as drinking. In fact, 55% of those hurt while walking with headphones on were hit by trains. So turn it down, pay attention, and bare in mind that while we all “multitask” our brains can truly only handle one thing at a time. [Guardian]
Cumberbatch needs to get physically fit for JJ Abrams, stating in an interview with MTV he’s been “…working out nonstop…” for his role in the Star Trek sequel. He’s a rather lanky Brit, and Kahn wasn’t known for being super buff so the mystery continues as to who Cunberbatch will be portraying. There are so many movies I’m over the moon for in 2013. It’s going to be a fantastic film year…if the studios live up to the hype. [MTV]
Finally, modern art everyone can enjoy. Gallery1988Melrose in California is hosting an AdultSwim exhibit. The show runs January 13th through February 4th, so get there quick to see your beloved characters featured in a whole new medium. It’s like when George posed on velvet and it became a frat wall must have, only much, much cooler. [DangerousMinds]
Kiersten Essenpreis “Brock Samson & The Neighborhood Stray Cats”, DangerousMinds via Nerdcore.
A woman in LA was arrested on Monday for attempting to sell sexual favors for McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets. Times are really, truly very hard. No pun intended. [LATimes]
Lana Del Rey is some kind of YouTube singing sensation or something, I don’t know. The fact of the matter is, however, that her terrible performance of not one, but two songs on Saturday Night Live this past weekend managed to distract people from Daniel Radcliffe’s own lackluster acting on the famous skit show. [HuffingtonPost]
Karen Gillian, Amy Pond of Doctor Who fame, is leaving the timey wimey franchise, and she’s about as thrilled about it as we, her fans, are. While asked about her characters future, during an interview for her current film We’ll Take Manhatten, Gillan expressed the sad, but mutual decision for the end of her character. And “end” is open to debate, as some rumors hint this may truly be her end. [Blastr]
BuzzFeed asks: Is Bane of the Dark Knight Rises merely a reincarnation of a snazzier Dr. Zoidberg? If you don’t know Zoidberg, then I’m not sure much on ChicGeekDaily is going to interest you. I’m talkin’ ’bout that space bug/monster in sandals that serves as the “physician” for the Planet Express Crew, though he alludes to losing more patients than actually helping them. Though he did save Fry’s life that one time, by sewing his head onto Amy’s shoulder…
Photo Credit BuzzFeed
* Remember that time that William Shatner said that Star Trek was way more popular that Star Wars. And then Carrie Fisher told him he was out of his ego maniacal mind and stated that Star Wars was, in fact, better? And then George Takei tried to make peace by awesomely stating that they should join forces and both fight against those craptacular Twilight films? Well, Shatner has now created a response to dear, sweet Takei. Let’s watch!
* DrFaustusAU of Deviant art created works depicting Seuss inspired Batman comics. A beautiful, perfect mashup. Each shows an easily recognizable Batman character in an undeniable Seuss style. [BuzzFeed]
* Robot Chicken will be airing its 100th episode this week. To celebrate they’ve set up a live webcam where fans can watch the actions of a robot and a chicken in a wee little hotel room. It’s a real robot and real chicken. And it’s adorable. [RobotChicken]
*Want to see a super bizarre animated Czech version of the Hobbit? Okay! [Blastr]
* Eight new stills from the upcoming Hunger Games movie have hit the internet to feed the over excited spoiler beast that dwells within all of us. [DenOfGeek]
* It’s no secret that I’m a huge Sherlock fan. And not just ’cause I’m chubby, I mean I really love Sherlock. So, I’m over the moon that the spectacular, gripping, and beautifully shot drama has been signed to a third series! I just wish it aired sooner in the States. BBC1 is currentlyairing Sherlock series 2 over in the UK, but it won’t air here until May. It will be on PBS, though, so even I, a fan without cable, will be able to catch it. [Zap2It]
* Parks and Rec just got even cooler: Paul Rudd will be playing Leslie Knope’s city council opponent on upcoming episodes! Rudd has perfect timeing, an excellent knack for improv, and I’m really looking forward to seeing him bounce off Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman. Actually, I’m pretty sure that if SNL wanted to throw together a skit of just Rudd and “Ron Swanson” Offerman it would be a viral hit in no time. Just when I thought I couldn’t get more addicted to this show… [NYMag]
* Love Downton Abbey? Perhaps it’s because there’s something familiar about it. And it seems even Hollywood isn’t immune to the harsh economic times. In a recent interview with the Daily Mail, it was stated that roughly 60% of Downton‘s costumes are recycled from other shows and movies. Even still, many of the dresses and costumes have been adapted and are barely recognizable from their previous turns on screen. If I were an actress I’d find it extra thrilling, having a bit of vintage and historical movie magic in the dresses I got to wear each day. Of course, I’d probably be so light headed from starving myself to fit into said dress that I wouldn’t even be able to remember my own name let alone be excited about who might have worn my outfit previously… [DailyMail]
* They’ve finally made it: An Alien vs. Predator chess set. In sharp detail and color, and even some almost clear pieces for the Predator’s side, the board was created by Deviant Artist Joker Laugh. Don’t act like you don’t want it. [iO9]
* The new season of East Bound and Down hits Sunday, February 19th. Here’s a trailer to tease us until then.
* Star Wars: Underworld. I’m not crazy about the name. Underworld is just to reminiscent of those terrible Kate Beckinsale movies that are forever needlessly in theaters. But this is the titled rumored for the Star Wars live-action series. In an interview with IGN George Lucas stated that this series would take place between Episode Puke – I mean, Episode Three and what we purists know as Star Wars, i.e. Episode four. [Blastr]
* Jeff Tweedy’s kids are growing up and to prove it, his eldest son made a music video…for his dad’s band. Spencer Tweedy created the video for Wilco’s song “Whole Love”. [StereoGum]
* I’m not going to delay this. Everyone everywhere needs to watch this Lion King/Dark Knight Rises right now. It’s genius and brought to us by Moviemaestroten at YouTube.
* Worst. Food Promotion. Ever. Burger King has had the fabulous idea to offer a Dark Side Burger and a Jedi Knight burger in honor of Star Wars 3D. I really, really hope they decide against the black bun. [BuzzFeed]
* Just in case you haven’t heard, Ab Fab is back in a big, beautiful way. Jennifer Saunders discusses it’s rebirth, smoking, and aging with Vulture Magazine. [NYMag]
Photo credit BestMoviesEverNews
* Wheel of Fish never had anything this awesome. A blue fin tuna recently sold at Tokyo’s Tsukiji fish market for $736,000. At weighing in at 593 pounds, that fish wound up costing about $1,238 a pound. And I’m sure every bit of it is delicious. Mmm… [Inquistr]
* The New York Times had to issue a correction recently due to an error in a story from last week. And it was spectacular, hysterical. I’m honestly glad they took the time to correct something that was important to those they feature in a front page story. See the clipping below. [BestWeekEver]
Photo credit Kerri Hicks
* Welcome to something I like to call “The Grossest Thing Ever.” Apparently the new teen fad is Vodka tampons. No, they’re not soaking up vodka with tampons to drink later. Teens are soaking up vodka with tampons and inserting them into their vaginas for a quick, mild buzz. According to the article, boys can also do this, too, through something called Butt Chugging. I’m not kidding. My favorite part of this little expose, however, was when Dr. Lisa Masterson said that the practice of vodka tampon use would “…literally destroy the vagina.” I like to imagine Jim Gaffigan dressed as a woman doing his Hot Pocket skit, but replacing “It will literally destroy your mouth.” with the above quote from Doc Masterson. Awesome. [HuffPostCA]
* A new Doctor Who rumor has hit the interwebs. As we all know, Amy Pond and Rory Williams out – heart breakingly – out. Word on the street is that the new sidekick might be none other than, Miranda Hart, an actress I know best as Diplomatic Officer Chloe Alice Teal of Hyperdrive. She’s funny, punky. She may not be my first pick for a replacement, but I’m not too sure I have one…’cept for maybe Gwen Cooper. [Blastr]
* Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be the new villain in the Star Trek sequel! I am over the moon about this! I can’t wait to see his Smaug and now I get him in Star Trek. Just fantastic, very exciting! I think 2011 is really going to be his year. [MTVNews]
* Speaking of Star Trek AND Doctor Who, ex-Who sidekick Mickey Smith (Noel Clarke) is also rumored to have signed on to the sequel. I loved him…until he got all up in Martha Jones, who I couldn’t stand. There’s going to be a number of cocky, villainous gazing come that movie. [Variety]
* And, finally, Portlandia performs Salt n Pepa’s Push It
On the twelfth day of Geekmas, Chic Geek Daily Gave to Thee…
Twelve Korean Kids Singing David Bowie’s Space Oddity.
Check out the Previous Geekmas Post for days 1 through 11!
Be sure to follow me on Twitter, @ChicGeekDaily !
Sure, this was announced in September, but this serves as a reminder: Wide screen TNG is just around the corner.
A “sampler” disc, also known as a teaser, of Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released on January 31st, 2012. Why they chose not to have this ready for the holidays is beyond me. Referred to as “The Next Level”, the Blu-ray will feature three episodes, the pilot, Sins of the Father, and The Inner Light, as well as bonuses that include a sneak peak into the Star Trek iPad App. Many are still disappointed that in the remastering of TOS for blu-ray, the studio didn’t shorten the actresses’ skirts at all. They’re just so long, almost completely covering female star fleet tooshies. In the retouching and high definition scanning of TNG, Deanna Troi’s character still has little to no point in comparison to the rest of the crew and Riker still gets progressively fatter as his beard gets thicker. The audio will be in 7.1 sound, however, which should be fantastic when Capt. Picard makes it so.
I am slightly sad we didn’t see a glimmer of Smaug even though I knew full well he wouldn’t be in the first part of the Hobbit. That being said, I don’t want to admit to the amount of times I’ve watched that trailer…and have subsequently gotten my coworkers to do the same.
On to Pop Bytes!
* Daniel Radcliffe, also known as Entertainment Weekly’s Entertainer of the Year, will be hosting SNL in January. The musical guest will be Lana Del Rey. I have no idea who that is. Radcliffe is the first of the Holy Harry Potter trifecta to host the legendary skit show. Emma Watson of now modeling and acting fame has a fairly good chance for a future spot given her blossoming career. Not sure the same could be said for the rough looking ginger one at this point… [NYDailyNews]
* 1 million Avengers = No time for Diddlin’! Okay, there aren’t 1 million Avengers, but there are quite a few and when you write a script that pays specific attention to each that leaves little time for love makin’ on the side, according to writer Joss Whedon. So if you were planning on seeing the Black Widow and Hawk Eye get it on, keep dreaming. [Blastr]
* The trailer for 21 Jump Street is now online, though unlike the Hobbit trailer, I’m not sure too many people will be chomping at the bit to view it. Or watching it more than once. I too enjoyed the television show. When I was eleven.
* While we’re still working off that Hobbit mountain high, let me point out that Google Maps has a Middle Earth easter egg. If you haven’t already typed “Let it snow” into a google search bar, you should hop on that bandwagon, too. [BuzzFeed]
* Can’t get enough Batman buzz? Well, a new trailer has been released to help ease – or worsen – your addiction. [Apple Trailers]
* His belly shakes like a bowl of jelly. His beard is as white as the snow. He’s got a twinkle in his eye and a button red nose. And, apparently, Santa also has a boner for suuuuuuuuper slutty teenage girls. I guess it also burns when he pees now, huh? [BuzzFeed]
* A replicator would be great, but just working on the Enterprise for the United Federation of Planets would be tops!…But, then, I’d still probably be an admin, and I bet even in space that post ain’t a glamorous one. With the iPad 2 we’re all ready ahead of the tablets that the Starfleet crew used and Apple is bringing us closer to holographic messages day by day. Still, there are other awesome gadgets we thought we’d have by now that just aren’t a reality. [Tecca]
* Speaking of Star Trek, the 398,000th rumor to hit the news is that the sequel will have a little Capt. Pike action in it. There have been so many even “confirmed” rumors that have been squashed at this point. Though I’d be thrilled for his inclusion, I will take this with a grain of salt. [Blastr]
* And, finally, Spoke Art has released Star Wars ninja prints. And I want them all! [MTV Geek]